Single Point Links posted in August 2010

CFL Power Ranking FAQ

Published on August 24, 2010 11:23 PM

I’m surprised how much work the league has put into their own power ranking system. Great stuff for statistics junkies. Too bad that it can’t be grasped by a lot of fans and the results don’t reflect the standings, which confuses and anger fans who really just want to debate and re-imagine the standings.

The 75% predictability statement means the formula accounts for 75% of the reasons teams win games. The other 25% of the reasons don’t come from the stats used in the formula and could include things like weather conditions, injuries, the crowd or other statistical categories. So you won’t be able to use that to figure out who should win or what the score or point spread should be. If the other 25% of factors go against a #1 power ranked team, they could lose. That is sports and why they play the game. You want predictability, stick to Madden Football (though even that includes a randomness factor to appear more realistic).

Gaudaur Veterans’ Trophy

Published on August 21, 2010 12:30 AM

Great idea to combine honouring Jake Gaudaur, veterans and a CFL player annually who shares their traits.

Winnipeg Stadium Cuts Raises Opposition

Published on August 19, 2010 10:06 PM

No official word on whether the canopy or sunken field are gone, but lots of feelings that they will be the first to go.

Thanks for Nothing

Published on August 13, 2010 12:58 AM

The Hamilton Spectator introduced a redesigned site today, breaking all their old URL’s. Apparently it is too much to build in redirects from the old URL format to the new. While the new design is fresh, new design’s shouldn’t break the web.

The end result is all links to on CFLdb are now broken (and those on the Scratching Post blog) and send you to their home page. Just so you know who to blame for the linkrot, it is, not CFLdb.

Ron Foxcroft on Hamilton Stadium

Published on August 10, 2010 10:04 PM

The last third of the first (3pm) hour on Prime Time Sports has an interview with Ron Foxcroft and his insight into the stadium negotiations. The first third of the second (4pm) hour has Bob McCown and John Shannon discuss the situation. The PTS podcast (on iTunes) is worth subscribing to and skipping all but the CFL parts.

I also disagree with the suggestion Ottawa is a possible location for the Ti-Cats:

  • Ottawa stadium isn’t ready until 2013
  • The CFL wants to expand, not have their expansion team poached by the movement of another team, even if they retain local Ottawa owners. Any move would require board approval and I can’t see Ottawa passing.
  • My guess, if it comes to that, is somewhere local in southern Ontario with a temporary stadium or Quebec City or Moncton, again with a temporary stadium. However, I don’t see Bob Young interested in owning a team in the latter locations.

Let me emphatically state I support the Tiger-Cats remaining in Hamilton for generations and having much success on the field and on the balance sheet.

Hamilton Council Select West Harbour for New Stadium

Published on August 10, 2010 8:53 PM

I wish Hamilton all the best in this decision.

In stories leading up to today’s vote, Emma Reilly sees a cloudy future, an editorial endorses West Harbour while not envying councillors who must make that decision, and John Kernaghan briefly investigates possible Ti-Cat homes after 2011.

Ti-Cats to Quebec City!?

Published on August 9, 2010 5:13 PM

Holy Angelo Mosca!

Update: Updated link to more permalink-friendly paper. The new link doesn’t emphasize the report from councillor Sam Merulla that Quebec City has offered $17 million for the Ti-Cats to relocate there. Original link was to the Globe and Mail.

Feds Make Hamilton Stadium Location Decision

Published on August 7, 2010 1:34 PM

Update: Feds back down, stadium location up to city.

A very unfortunate situation. I doubt anyone will be able to bring forward proof of the accusations that “private interests” — namely David Braley — kiboshed West Harbour. This may not be over as council has the option to say no to the the whole thing if they have the guts to walk away from the federal and provincial money.

More background and coverage at

Hamilton: No Sign of Common Stadium Ground

Published on August 4, 2010 8:17 PM

I am thinking this debate will continue with neither side budging until a) the opportunity passes the city and Ti-Cats by, or b) council votes on a location. If council selects West Harbour, and the Ti-Cats refuse to consider it as they have stated, game over. If council selects East Mountain, is there only an endless parade of legal challenges and other obstacles? As bad as this is, I cannot see it getting better.

Which Winnipeg Stadium Gets Built?

Published on August 4, 2010 8:08 PM

The design agreed upon or a design capped at $115 million? That is the debate in Winnipeg now, though the mayor guarantees a “first-class stadium” will be built.