SECTION 5 — TEAM LOSSES
DEFINITION – This category covers yardage losses suffered by a team that are not chargeable against the ordinary rushing and passing gains or losses by a team and individual players, Such losses are, however, included in determining a team's NET OFFENCE (See Section 2).
The following are examples of Team Losses:
- When the QB is sacked attempting to pass (See Section 15) and yardage is lost or he is forced to fumble behind the LOS.
- When a Quarterback voluntarily takes a knee conceding yards (example: concedes to end a half).
- When kick is blocked and recovered by either team behind the line of scrimmage. In this case, the kicker is charged with a fumble and a Team Loss calculated from the LOS back to the point of recovery.
- When a bad snap occurs resulting in a loose ball recovered by either team. Team Loss calculated from the LOS back to the point of recovery. Treatment: Score a Team Loss to the Centre.
- When a Punter or Field Goal holder either takes a knee (conceding), or is tackled behind the LOS. Example: Safety.
- When a player in the backfield interferes with a snap to the QB in Shotgun Formation i.e. gets hit by the ball between the Centre and the QB. Score a Team Loss to the player hit by the ball.