Published on January 1, 2021 4:29 PM by dbo.
The December 2020 release notes for the CFLdb family of sites reveals substantial data improvements, enhancements and fixes made in the past month. Read on for details.
The following changes have been made to CFLdb Statistics since the last report:
- Data: Added biographical information, primarily high school, for over 260 players. (Thanks Mark!).
- Data: Updated over 650 games, with game time information for seasons from 1950 to 1969.
- Data: Updated biographical information (mostly birthplace) on about 500 individuals.
- Data: Related updates (over 2300 updates, additions and deletions this month).
- Enhancement: Refactor League Scoring Differential Record page to tabbed view, improving performance.
- Enhancement: Refactor All-Star Team page to tabbed view.
- Enhancement: Refactor League Attendance page to tabbed view, add Delta tab, add events to CFL historical Average and Total attendance charts, add Canadian Average to Average attendance chart.
- Enhancement: Refactor Team Scoring Record page to tabbed view.
- Enhancement: Refactor Team Point Differential Record page to tabbed view.
- Enhancement: Refactor Draft home page to tabbed view.
- Enhancement: Improve League Award Weekly/Monthly tab layouts and display.
- Enhancement: Added Contributor Tools for listing games and person with missing data.
- Enhancement: Improved ordering of search results by relevance.
- Enhancement: Show player links for players participating in 1950 through 1959 seasons. This allows all players who played from 1950 forward and who have substantial biographical information to return Person page result in searches.
- Enhancement: Small refactor of League Team list page.
- Enhancement: Refactor League Season Scoring page to tabbed view.
- Enhancement: Refactor League Season All-Star page to tabbed view.
- Enhancement: Add Position column to Player Season Participation list.
- Enhancement: Add links to Player pages from League and Team All-Time Roster lists, All-Star team lists, and Draft lists.
- Enhancement: Improve performance of Canada Day, Labour Day, Thanksgiving Day and All-Star Game list pages.
- Bug: Fix variance (delta) calculation in attendance compilation.
- Bug: Fix None appearing in Club Head-to-Head Record page lists.
- Bug: Fix json string appearing in League Standings division column.
- Bug: Fix game Feels Like weather column display when condition (humidex, wind chill) only applicable to some hourly observations.
- Bug: Fix Team Season All-Star tab saying no All-Stars for team appearing for all teams.
- Bug: Fix Streak query by opposition returning all streak results for team when in Club mode.
Along with other cosmetic, data, performance, administrative, or infrastructure related bug fixes and enhancements (73 commits this month).
Special acknowledgement to major contributor Mark this month.
2020 in Review
The year started off slowly, but over 11,000 data updates were completed in the year, almost 1,000 per month. The migration to improved page design and organization progressed over the year. By the end of the year, player pages for most players who participated since 1950 were present and searchable, containing information on career participation, awards and honours. Improvements to performance and organization of many pages improved their accessibility and understanding.
More work is needed, but 2020 was perhaps the largest leap forward for CFLdb Statistics since its inception. Thank you to the contributors whose efforts and support CFLdb Statistics is built upon. All those who contributed in 2020 and prior are recognized as the foundation of the site.
The plan for early 2021 is to complete the data changes (coaches) needed as the result of adding Clubs, address any bugs, issues, or missed pages for improved layout, and move on to data additions and exposing more data as time permits.
Found an Issue?
Please report any issues you come across in the data on the site or in its display. If you have concerns over the absence of data or how it is displayed, please let CFLdb know. Thank you for taking the time to make the site better and eliminate errors and misleading information.
If CFLdb missed your contribution this or any other month, please send a gentle reminder so the record may be corrected. And apologies for the unintended slight.
Contributions, Corrections and Suggestions
Send all contributions, corrections and suggestions to me via methods found on the Contact page. All contributions are credited, with more prominent credit for the largest statistics contributors on the CFLdb Statistics contributor page. The contributor list will, therefore, reflect the true owners of the site, those that research, compile and contribute data and corrections.