Published on May 1, 2019 10:26 PM by dbo.
The April 2019 release notes for the CFLdb family of sites details the substantial data updates to the CFLdb Statistics site. Read on to learn more.
The following changes have been made to CFLdb Statistics since the last report:
- Data: Added 3,481 jersey numbers for players in seasons from 1957-1966 (Thanks Mark!). Mark also provided additional numbers (181) and corrections for seasons 1946-1956. This increases the jersey number coverage to 97.8% (from 92.5%) for 1946-1956 and provides 91.5% coverage for 1956-1966 (94.3% for complete donated years). Mark’s data also provided information that led to at least 28 updates and corrections to players and games played, as well as untracked deletions.
- Data: Added and updated 380 ORFU games and compiled season standings for 1898-1929 seasons (Thanks Chris!). The game data and standings information provided also resulted in the addition and correction of teams, team names, season, division and stadium data. The remainder (1930-1960, 1891-1897) of Chris Sinclair’s donation of ORFU game data remains to be processed along with contributions of game data for other historical eastern leagues.
- Data: Various other data updates (3600+ updates, additions and deletions this month).
- Enhancement: Added 2019 European draft.
- Enhancement: Sort by winning percentage on league and team Best and Worst Record lists.
- Bug: Fixed bugs with team record compilation that was incorrectly calculating tie-breakers in certain situations.
- Bug: Fixed games played leaders for league to include only games played in that league, rather than for total games played for any player who once played in league.
Along with numerous other cosmetic, data, performance, administrative, or infrastructure related bug fixes and enhancements (20 commits this month).
Thanks to contributors Mark and Chris this month.
In the third month of the Datasette experiment, interest has not reached sustainable levels. The Datasette site saw 17 visitors, with 30 people visiting the Introduction post in the month of April.
Based on this amount of usage, and a lack of feedback or expressions of value in the data as presented, I consider the Datasette to be not useful by the greater community, and am giving notice that it will be taken offline in June at the conclusion of the experiment. Please plan accordingly. A notice will be added to the site in May. The next experiment to make this data available publicly is being formulated.
Contributions, Corrections and Suggestions
Send all contributions, corrections and suggestions to me via methods found on the Contact page. All contributions are credited, with more prominent credit for the largest statistics contributors on the CFLdb Statistics home page. The contributor list will, therefore, reflect the true owners of the site, those that research, compile and contribute data and corrections.