Published on September 2, 2018 11:09 AM by dbo.
The August 2018 release notes for the CFLdb family of sites has a few improvements on the main and statistics sites. Read on to learn more.
The following changes have been made to CFLdb since the last report:
- Bug: Corrected deleted rule change in 2018 Rule Book, along with missed rule changes from 2012 fixed in versions 2013 to 2018 on Rule 6 — Passing — Section 4 — Forward Pass page.
- Update: Updated Roster FAQ to reflect 2014 CBA changes affecting rules for removing players from the 6-game injury list (thanks, Chris, for reporting the problem).
- Update: Chris Sinclair provided research and material on the origin of the Ottawa Rough Riders name, which was added to the FAQ question “What are the CFL team name origins?”
- Update: Article Offside: Illusion or Confusion received updates of additional information, corrections and apology. Those interested should review.
The following changes have been made to CFLdb Statistics since the last report:
- Data: Fixed parent team on ten teams (was causing misinformation to be reported on RCASC London Falcons page). (Steven, thanks for the report).
- Data: Approximately 55 data updates, additions and deletions.
- Enhancement: Add Draft pages to search.
- Enhancement: Added conditions for Environment Canada weather sources that were missing conditions from forecast.io sources. Over 7,000 weather entries (1,698 games) received supplemental data.
- Enhancement: Updated weather source text and added additional source message when supplemental data included.
- Enhancement: Improved 404 page not found message when searching for league season out of range.
- Bug: Fix weather update process and corrected 180 games with blank weather data.
- Bug: Fix standings order to not consider teams tied when they haven’t played same number of games, ordering by fewest games played.
- Bug: Fix database game count on team pages for teams not a member of a league (played exhibition games against league teams).
- Bug: Fix Next Game record when game is exhibition game, show regular season record, not exhibition record.
- Bug: Fixed year-over-year attendance calculation for teams (not shown on site yet).
- Bug: Fix punt return distance on some returns that displayed negative return yardage in game scoring summaries.
- Bug: Fix credit for score on offensive fumble recovery for touchdown (ball carrier was credited, now recoverer credited) in game scoring summaries.
- Bug: Fix error with fumble recoveries in game scoring summaries that caused summary to not display.
- Bug: Fix score time calculation; don’t show score time when not in source on game scoring summaries.
- Bug: Fix consistency of Draft page names.
Along with numerous other cosmetic, data, performance, administrative, or infrastructure related bug fixes and enhancements (27 commits this month).
Thanks to contributors Chris, Steven, Mike and Douglas this month.
Community Owned, Community Responsible
The CFLdb family of sites are for the community, and I rely on the community being responsible for the information on the sites. Errors, which do occur due to the substantial amount of information on the site that is dynamic in nature (annual rule book changes, CBA changes, ad-hoc opaque league changes to regulations), should be reported so they may be corrected. As much as possible, links to original sources are provided. If information seems outdated or suspicious, original sources should be consulted for the source of truth. Then, with knowledge of the truth, those sources should be referenced rather than information written on these sites, and the errors on these sites noted at a bare minimum to quell debate if there is no desire to inform CFLdb site administrators of the issue.
Unfortunately, currently only proven contributors and trusted individuals are invited to assist with CFLdb. Many do not have interest in writing, and limit themselves to contributing information. This leaves updating content to a single person, and the workload fluctuates when new sources are released. Long term plans (3-5 years) for the site include a greater community involvement, but for now these limitations exist. I encourage a better community driven CFL information source; when one appears I will shut down CFLdb.
Contributions, Corrections and Suggestions
Send all contributions, corrections and suggestions to me via methods found on the Contact page. All contributions are credited, with more prominent credit for the largest statistics contributors on the CFLdb Statistics home page. The home page will, therefore, reflect the true owners of the site, those that research, compile and contribute data and corrections.